[openib-general] semantics of process_mad?

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Mon Sep 13 12:02:46 PDT 2004

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 11:08:06 -0700
Roland Dreier <roland at topspin.com> wrote:

> It seems that the process_mad method wants one more parameter too: the
> source LID of the MAD being processed.  This used to tell if an SM
> trap is generated locally (by the Tavor) and should be forwarded to
> the SM or if it's a real trap received from the fabric.
>
> Should I add this parameter too or does anyone else see a better API?

Should we look at sending in a structure with some of this information?  Right now, I think we have 4 parameters (device, flags, in_mad, out_mad).  And we want to add in QP number, port number, and LID.  Am I missing something?

Port number seems like it could have its own parameter.  For the source LID, would it be possible to use a flag for locally generated MADs?  (Not suggesting this over using the source LID, just trying to see what other options there are.)

Also, I didn't quite follow the reasoning for the QP number parameter.