[openib-general] semantics of process_mad?

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Mon Sep 13 12:34:34 PDT 2004

    Sean> Should we look at sending in a structure with some of this
    Sean> information?  Right now, I think we have 4 parameters
    Sean> (device, flags, in_mad, out_mad).  And we want to add in QP
    Sean> number, port number, and LID.  Am I missing something?

I don't think QP number is required.  So we just need port and LID,
which I don't think merits a struct.

    Sean> Port number seems like it could have its own parameter.  For
    Sean> the source LID, would it be possible to use a flag for
    Sean> locally generated MADs?  (Not suggesting this over using the
    Sean> source LID, just trying to see what other options there
    Sean> are.)

I think the issue with using a flag is that it puts the knowledge that
SLID==0 means locally generated (which is really Tavor-specific) into
the access layer.

    Sean> Also, I didn't quite follow the reasoning for the QP number
    Sean> parameter.

Actually I was convinced that we don't want the QP number (it should
be up to the access layer to filter out class/QPN mismatches like SMPs