[openib-general] mthca startup problem

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Mon Sep 20 19:54:25 PDT 2004

    Hal> When insmod'ing ib_mthca.ko, I get the following error:
    Hal> Failed to initialize queue pair table, aborting.

    Hal> It seems to fail on configuring special QP0 with a return
    Hal> code of -16 (which appears to be bad QE state).

    Hal> Any idea on what is wrong ?

Actually -16 is -EBUSY, which means that a FW command timed out.  In
fact the CONF_SPECIAL_QP command in mthca_init_qp_table() is the first
FW command where we try to use interrupt-driven mode.  So it seems
that the driver is not receiving interrupts from the device.

Typically this problem means you have interrupt routing issues with
your BIOS or kernel.  You can try the usual things like booting with
"acpi=off", looking for a BIOS update, etc.

 - Roland