[openib-general] mthca startup problem

volta104 at mail.netvision.net.il volta104 at mail.netvision.net.il
Tue Sep 21 12:28:31 PDT 2004

[Roland wrote:]
If you've always had acpi=off on your bootline then getting rid of it
and turning ACPI on may be helpful (I'm not sure what "have been
running" means exactly).

I've run with all combinations (acpi on/off in BIOS, boot line, and
configured/built into and not configured not built into 2.6.8.1 kernel).

[Roland wrote:]
If you've ever had an HCA driver working on this machine, you can look
at /proc/interrupts and see what IRQ the HCA is assigned.  Then add a
printk to mthca_eq.c before request_irq (the second, non-MSIX
request_irq) and see what the value of dev->pdev->irq is.  If they're
different then that's the problem.

Yes, the HCA worked with the Voltaire stack at 2.4.

[Roland wrote:]
There's also a slim chance that turning on CONFIG_PCI_MSI may help.
(However make sure you don't enable msi or msi_x for ib_mthca --
MSI/MSI-X doesn't work on any current Opteron systems).

I've tried the latter to no avail. Where's the MSI config to mthca ? I
can't seem to find it.

One more thing: I noticed that when mthca starts up it displays the
following:
Sep 20 08:22:53 cn5 kernel: ib_mthca 0000:02:00.0: FW version
000300000000, max_cmds 64

Does the firmware rev need to be 3.2 ?

More later as I gather more info.

Thanks again.