[openib-general] IPoIB Loading and Starting

Tom Duffy Tom.Duffy at Sun.COM
Thu Sep 23 07:24:08 PDT 2004

Hal Rosenstock wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a couple of questions about IPoIB loading and starting.
>
> 1. It appears I need the following modules in this order:
> core/ib_client_query.ko
> core/ib_sa_client.ko
> ulp/ipoib/ib_ipoib.ko
> ulp/ipoib/ib_ip2pr.ko
> Any others ? I presume ib_pr2pr is needed. What happens if it is not
> present ?

ib_ip2pr is not needed for normal operation.  modprobe ib_ipoib should
pick up all the dependencies (if you have the modules installed in
/lib/modules/`uname -r`)

> 2. After all the above modules are loaded, do I just configure the ib0/1
> interfaces ?
> Something like:
> /sbin/ifconfig ib0 192.168.0.101 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

Yup.

> Does anything else need to be done before it should work (other than an
> SM bringing these links to active) ?

It also depends what pkey your subnet manager uses for the IP network.
Sun's setup uses pkey 0x8001, so I need to setup a virtual NIC using the
ipoibcfg command.

-tduffy