[openib-general] IPoIB Loading and Starting

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Mon Sep 27 08:44:57 PDT 2004

    Roland> There is a small issue of how to name the interfaces to
    Roland> solve but we should be able to work that out.

    Yaron> We can use the Linux VLAN convention of: IF_name.VLAN_tag
    Yaron> And do for e.g. ipoib0.P_Key_value This way P_Key's can
    Yaron> look familiar to IT people working with VLAN's And we also
    Yaron> don't need a special place to store the P_Key value (since
    Yaron> its part of the IF name)

Yes, that is one idea that makes sense.  Implementing it seems to
be a little ugly though since assigning the "ipoib0" part of the name
uniquely seems to require grunging through the list of network
devices.  One option is to name the interface corresponding to P_Key
table index 0 without the P_Key (just "ipoib0").

By the way, the Linux 802.1q code supports several different naming
schemes (look for "vlan_name_type" in vlan.c).

Thanks,
  Roland