[openib-general] Re: [openib-commits] r894 -gen2/branches/roland-merge/src/linux-kernel/infiniband/ulp/ipoib

Yaron Haviv yaronh at voltaire.com
Mon Sep 27 16:26:42 PDT 2004

Having a 20 byte HW address towards the upper stack may result in some
unexpected behavior with different networking tools such as sniffers,
etc' ,  a variety of DHCP servers and few other protocols that use the
hardware addresses.

I suggest we don't rush to incorporate the 20 byte support and think of
more urgent matters, and in any case when we do get to it allow the user
to configure the IPoIB to work in the 6 byte mode, to enable
compatibility with those apps/protocols.

Yaron