[openib-general] Re: [openib-commits] r894 - gen2/branches/roland-merge/src/linux-kernel/infiniband/ulp/ipoib

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Tue Sep 28 08:41:30 PDT 2004

    Roland> I think I've done all the straightforward work on IPoIB
    Roland> now.  We can try to figure out how to make it a "native"
    Roland> driver now (ie use the full 20 byte HW address instead of
    Roland> hashing down to 6 bytes, etc).  I had some inconclusive
    Roland> discussions on netdev at oss.sgi.com about this last week but
    Roland> I still don't know how to do it.

    Hal> Can you elaborate on the issue ?

You can look at the archives for netdev at oss.sgi.com (look for the
"Advice needed on IP-over-InfiniBand driver" thread) to see the full
exchange.  The basic idea is that we need to teach the Linux
networking core about the fact that IPoIB needs a second path record
lookup after the ARP/ND, and that the layer 2 header is built by the
HCA rather than the network driver.

 - Roland