[openib-general] IPoIB Loading and Starting

Michael Krause krause at cup.hp.com
Wed Sep 29 06:32:14 PDT 2004

At 08:00 PM 9/28/2004, you wrote:
>     Michael> The IBTA defined the specifications to establish standard
>     Michael> wire protocols to discover services without having to
>     Michael> track all potential services.  The IETF does not address
>     Michael> how P_Keys are managed only that the IP over IB component
>     Michael> must follow a set of semantics / operations to enable IP
>     Michael> communication; all IB-specific management issues are
>     Michael> outside the scope of the drafts.
>
>     Michael> As another person put it - embrace and extend.  The
>     Michael> approach being advocated is something that will be
>     Michael> interoperable and provides a solution that can be easily
>     Michael> incorporated into all IP over IB implementations.  It
>     Michael> also clarifies the ambiguous IB - admin management
>     Michael> interactions for IP communications.
>
>Until an IPoIB service is mandated somewhere, IPoIB implementations
>need to work even on subnets where the service is not registered.

The goal here would be to establish a requirement that all implementations
would use the process I've outlined here so the service is always
registered.  As such, there would be only one method and only one thing to
implement in the future.  The IBTA cannot mandate anything here as IP is
not its charter to define.  The IETF might be able to do something here but
the best that might be done is perhaps an informational draft.  Is this
what is required to make forward progress here?

>Which means a bit of extra complexity to handle both the case where
>the service doesn't exist because the subnet has not implemented the
>management scheme and the case where the service doesn't exist because
>the administrator doesn't want to configure IPoIB for a given partition.

IPoverIB implementations should not enable IP communication if the admin
does not want it configured.  The service lookup would occur per P_Key and
only on those partitions that show the service registered would have
IPoverIB enabled.  The only thing the code does is examine whether the
service is present or not for the P_Keys that are configured or when the
service event handler informs the driver that the service has undergone
change which may be to add or delete a partition.

Mike