[openib-general] IPoIB Loading and Starting

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Wed Sep 29 08:16:10 PDT 2004

    Michael> The IETF might be able to do something here but the best
    Michael> that might be done is perhaps an informational draft.  Is
    Michael> this what is required to make forward progress here?

I think so.  Without an IETF draft, there _will_ be implementations
that do not create a service record, and therefore interoperable
implementations will have to function both in subnets without service
records and subnets with service records.

However, reading back over this thread, I'm not clear on what purpose
having a service record for IPoIB serves.  Why can't an implementation
just look for the IPoIB broadcast multicast groups for each P_Key to
decide whether to use that P_Key?

Thanks,
  Roland