Fwd: Re: [openib-general] static LID computation with TS_HOST_DRIVER

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Wed Sep 29 08:07:28 PDT 2004

    David> 1) assignment of the IP address to the platform ethernet
    David> during boot has nothing to do with LID assignment.  [If it
    David> does, why is there a relationship?]

Using the first IP address we can find was a quick-and-dirty way to
pick a LID that would probably be unique among different hosts.

    David> 2) in the version of the software Tom is using, the
    David> ib_mthca driver will pick a LID if it doesn't find an IB
    David> port in the ACTIVE (or ARMED) state.  This is a hack and
    David> Roland has removed the hack from the latest version of the
    David> software.

Actually mthca had nothing to do with the LID assignment.  It was done
by the MAD layer in device-independent code before it starts
processing MADs.  This means it always happens, since the port cannot
possibly be active without processing SMPs.

    David> If both (1) and (2) are true, is there still a plan to
    David> implement a mechanism where the applications can create
    David> connections before the SM assigns a LID and brings the port
    David> up to ACTIVE state?  [I hope the response is "no".]

I guess it depends on whether supporting applications that want to do
this becomes important or not.

Thanks,
  Roland