Fwd: Re: [openib-general] static LID computation withTS_HOST_DRIVER

Michael Krause krause at cup.hp.com
Wed Sep 29 17:49:58 PDT 2004

At 05:09 PM 9/29/2004, Roland Dreier wrote:
>     Yaron> A better solution that IBTA needs to look at is creating a
>     Yaron> well known Loopback LID value that apps use when they want
>     Yaron> to talk locally (like IP 127...)
>
>If/when IBTA specifies this and available hardware implements this,
>then this will be a great solution.

As noted in my other response, the specs do not require modification to
provide loopback service.

>In the meantime, I don't see a problem with having a mechanism to provide
>an initial value for PortInfo:LID _before_ the SM discovers the node.  The
>SM must be able to deal with arbitrary values of this field, since it
>can't make any assumptions about the state of the subnet.  I don't think
>the spec forbids having a mechanism to specify the initial value of
>PortInfo:LID.

The SM is the only entity that is supposed to assign LID as well as the
subnet prefix.  The SM should not trust any CA / switch configuration if it
has not configured it thus should wipe it out and replace it with what it
deems best.  As for the subnet merge problem, until the M_Key is sorted
out, reassignment isn't an issue per se.

Mike