Fwd: Re: [openib-general] static LID computation withTS_HOST_DRIVER

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Wed Sep 29 18:13:09 PDT 2004

    Michael> The SM is the only entity that is supposed to assign LID
    Michael> as well as the subnet prefix.  The SM should not trust
    Michael> any CA / switch configuration if it has not configured it
    Michael> thus should wipe it out and replace it with what it deems
    Michael> best.

I don't see anything in the spec that forbids a CA from having an
arbitrary value in PortInfo:LID after initialization but before the SM
discovery (please correct me if I missed something).  I also don't see
anything that forbids an SM implementation from providing a mechanism
for preserving the LIDs it finds or administratively assigning LIDs.

Of course none of this is required but I don't see a problem with
allowing it.

 - Roland