[openib-general] OpenSM Work

Eitan Zahavi eitan at mellanox.co.il
Wed Aug 3 03:55:05 PDT 2005

Hi Hal,

As Mellanox moves to work on OpenIB Gen2 stack, we have assigned Yael to
work on merging OpenSM 1.8.0 (which released based on gen1) into the gen2
stack. She has started to work on the merge to ensure that fixes done by you
and Shahar on the gen2 trunk will not be lost.

The mode of work we suggest is that she will work offline.  When the merge
will be completed a side branch will be opened under:
https://openib.org/svn/gen2/branches/osm_1_8_0
<https://openib.org/svn/gen2/branches/osm_1_8_0>  and will made available
for review and testing before merge into the main trunk.

Once all this is done, Yael will work on multiple new features including
faster route time, PKey manager, MKey manager, and QoS. She will do so on
branches off the main trunk - for each feature.

In parallel, Liran who owns the OpenSM verification will enhance osmtest and
other testing utilities to achieve better test coverage of SM handover,
SL2VL, VLArb and PKey. Any new feature will get covered by new tests.

I myself will work on making sure the IB management simulator is well
integrated with the stack and the available simulator based tests as well as
new tests can be run daily.

We do have some issues with respect to the current osm tree:
1.	All header files were moved from their relative location under the
opensm, complib, iba directories and placed under the include directory.
Although this seems reasonable for a "install" tree - it is not very common
for development trees. Normally I would expect the Makefile.am of each sub
directory of the osm project to define which header files are to be
installed into the $prefix/include dir. We will revert that hierarchy change
in our merged branch.

2.	osmtest was just introduced back into the osm tree. I think osmtest
should be placed under a "test" tree where all the tests of the ULPs core
etc will be located. I would expect a location like:
		https://openib.org/svn/gen2/trunk/test/
<https://openib.org/svn/gen2/trunk/test/> userspace/management/osm

3.	osmtest needs cleanup from VAPI stuff - we should let Liran who is
the owner of this code development a clear AR to clean it up.

4.	For some reason I saw that you have added Voltaire copyright to the
osmtest code. I do not think it makes sense as no work was done on this code
by a Voltaire developer. Or I might be wrong?

Needless to say the 1.8.0 version of OpenSM brings with it a long set of bug
fixes and enhancements.

Eitan

Eitan Zahavi
Design Technology Director