[openib-general] Re: OpenSM Work

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Wed Aug 3 11:24:07 PDT 2005

Hi Eitan,

On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 06:55, Eitan Zahavi wrote:
> Hi Hal,
>
> As Mellanox moves to work on OpenIB Gen2 stack, we have assigned Yael
> to work on merging OpenSM 1.8.0 (which released based on gen1) into
> the gen2 stack.

I too am working on small pieces of this.

> She has started to work on the merge to ensure that fixes done by you
> and Shahar on the gen2 trunk will not be lost.
>
> The mode of work we suggest is that she will work offline.

Not sure by what you mean by offline here.

> When the merge will be completed a side branch will be opened under:
> https://openib.org/svn/gen2/branches/osm_1_8_0 and will made available
> for review and testing before merge into the main trunk.

I would prefer small patches rather than a large merge if that were
possible.

> Once all this is done, Yael will work on multiple new features
> including faster route time, PKey manager, MKey manager, and QoS. She
> will do so on branches off the main trunk - for each feature.

OK. Sounds good.

> In parallel, Liran who owns the OpenSM verification will enhance
> osmtest and other testing utilities to achieve better test coverage of
> SM handover, SL2VL, VLArb and PKey. Any new feature will get covered
> by new tests.

OK.

> I myself will work on making sure the IB management simulator is well
> integrated with the stack

What do you mean by stack here ?

>  and the available simulator based tests as well as new tests can be
> run daily.

> We do have some issues with respect to the current osm tree:
>
> 1.      All header files were moved from their relative location under
> the opensm, complib, iba directories and placed under the include
> directory. Although this seems reasonable for a "install" tree - it is
> not very common for development trees. Normally I would expect the
> Makefile.am of each sub directory of the osm project to define which
> header files are to be installed into the $prefix/include dir. We will
> revert that hierarchy change in our merged branch.

Are you expecting the reverted hierarchy to make it back to the trunk ?

> 2.      osmtest was just introduced back into the osm tree. I think
> osmtest should be placed under a "test" tree where all the tests of
> the ULPs core etc will be located. I would expect a location like:
>
>                 https://openib.org/svn/gen2/trunk/test/userspace/management/osm

It can be moved when it is agreed on its location. There are other
places being proposed for this (talk to Amit).

> 3.      osmtest needs cleanup from VAPI stuff - we should let Liran
> who is the owner of this code development a clear AR to clean it up.

Yes. Can he send patches for this ?

> 4.      For some reason I saw that you have added Voltaire copyright
> to the osmtest code. I do not think it makes sense as no work was done
> on this code by a Voltaire developer. Or I might be wrong?

There was some minor work done in terms of OpenIB. I removed this.

> Needless to say the 1.8.0 version of OpenSM brings with it a long set
> of bug fixes and enhancements.

Once the OpenSM work is completed, will OpenSM development by Mellanox
be done incrementally and in the open rather than drops ? Will patches
be suppplied ?