[openib-general] OpenMPI question

Dhabaleswar Panda panda at cse.ohio-state.edu
Thu Aug 4 07:08:56 PDT 2005

Hi Steve,

> Will the various MPI implementations be ported to the openIB user verbs API?
> Or uDAPL?  From reading the FAQ it appears that MVAPICH2 will remain on
> udapl.   I'm curious about Open-MPI and LA-MPI?

The current MVAPICH2 design supports uDAPL as well as VAPI. MVAPICH
currently supports VAPI. However, a uDAPL interface is being worked
out for this as well and will be released soon.

Regarding OpenIB/Gen2, we have the following four designs being worked
out and will be released to the community in a staged manner.

- MVAPICH
    - support for native OpenIB Gen2 verbs API
    - support for uDAPL

- MVAPICH2 (a new design is being worked out which will provide the same
            performance and features as that of MVAPICH + support for
            one-sided communication)
    - support for native OpenIB Gen2 verbs API
    - support for uDAPL

During the upcoming OpenIB workshop, I will talk about these designs
in more detail.  Hope this helps.

Thanks,

DK