[openib-general] [ANNOUNCE] Initial trunk checkin of ISERinitiator

Yaron Haviv yaronh at voltaire.com
Thu Aug 18 19:47:33 PDT 2005

-----Original Message-----
openib-general at openib.org
> Subject: Re: [openib-general] [ANNOUNCE] Initial trunk checkin of
> ISERinitiator
>
> > If kDAPL for any reason doesn't get pushed upstream to kernel.org,
> > we effectively don't have iSER or NFS/RDMA in linux.
> > Since I think without them, linux won't be competitive in the
> > commercial market place.
>
> iser doesn't matter at all in the marketplace.  nfs/rdma matters and
> even if netapp/citi keeps beeing ignorant I will port it over to the
> infiniband/rdma layer myself.  I'll hopefully have some iwarp cards
> soon.

Christoph,

Can you help me understand how would you address the CM issue, would you
add IB/iWarp specific code into all the ULPs (NFS, SDP, MPI, Lustre,
iSER, ..) ?

Regarding iSER, You are entitled to your opinion
Many others won't agree with you and think that in the long run iSER
will be the only viable block storage alternative in OpenIB, mainly
since it fits the IB/iWarp generalization and it is much more complete
than alternatives, and with the recent IETF moves people can't claim its
non-standard anymore.

Not every one wants to keep on doing target discovery with Python
scripts, and some prefer just using existing code and management from
iSCSI rather than inventing new mechanisms just for IB

Yaron