[openib-general] [ANNOUNCE] Initial trunk checkin of ISERinitiator

Roland Dreier rolandd at cisco.com
Fri Aug 19 13:56:42 PDT 2005

    Steve> Tom Tucker and I have talked about this, and agree that we
    Steve> could to create a set of agnostic services like
    Steve> ib_connect_qp(), ib_create_psp(), ib_accept_cr(),
    Steve> ib_reject_cr(), and the associated connection events
    Steve> similar to kdapl.  These service would then use the AT
    Steve> service and core IB cm services for IB devices -and- plug
    Steve> into our up and coming iwarp-specific connection services
    Steve> for IWARP devices.  Thus a common connection manager.

I think this is exactly the right plan.  Maybe the names could be a
little better -- no need to use odd terminology like "psp."  But other
than that sort of minor quibble, this is the same as my vague ideas.

Also on the IB side the AT code probably needs to be reviewed and
improved.  The API should be simpler, and I don't like the way AT
sticks its tentacles into the IPoIB driver and network stack.

Christoph has suggested doing address translation in userspace and
working exclusively with native addresses in the kernel.  In general
this seems like a good plan to me, although it's not clear to me how
to handle cases like the NFS/RDMA server, which wants an IP address to
match against its exports file.

 - R.