[openib-general] OpenSM: new branch

Yael Kalka yael at mellanox.co.il
Tue Aug 23 00:25:11 PDT 2005

Hello Hal,

Since the merge or the OpenSM to the main trunk is going to be long, we
tried to come
up with a way to make it clearer and easier to review.
Currently we have the osm-1.8.0-merge branch, that includes all the merges.
We gave special attention
to make sure fixes done on the main trunk will not be lost in the process.
During the main trunk update, this branch can be used to validate the merge.

Regarding the merge:
As we tried to do the merge patch by patch with no success, we would like to
propose an alternative
stategy for making sure all changes are reviewed.
We think the merge should be split to reasonable sized chunks, and applied
on each section separately
even at the cost of breaking the code at several stages.
We believe that the effort of merging all the changes without breaking the
compilation is too big, since
many changes involve multiple files.
We think the following partition could be useful:
1. New and deleted files.
2. Build environment changes
3. Complib Include and Code.
4. Vendor Modifications Include and Code.
5. OpenSM headers and ib_types.h.
6. OpenSM core - SM part.
7. OpenSM core SA part (actually can be done one file at a time)

The attached file provides the list of the files for each step, such that
obtaining the patch for each step is
made simpler.
We, of course, will be happy to help in creating the patches, and assist in
any way possible to make this
merge a smooth as possible.

Thanks,
Yael