[openib-general] RDMA connection and address translation API

Yaron Haviv yaronh at voltaire.com
Wed Aug 24 11:01:06 PDT 2005

API

> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005, Roland Dreier wrote:
>
> >         It would be possible to have another function like
> >         rdma_getpeername() that takes the transport address and
> >         returns a source IP address.  In the IB case this would do
an
> >         ATS reverse lookup.  However, I hate this idea.  iSER
already
> >         uses the CM private data to pass the source IP in the IB
case,

> I know this is how IB SDP works, but I don't think iSER works this
> way.
>
> The code in the tree calls dat_ep_connect() with a NULL private data
> pointer.
>
> There is an iSER HELLO message described in iser_header.h contains IP
> addresses, but I'm not certain that this is part of the current
> protocol (ISER_HELLO_LEN and ISER_HELLO_REPLY_LEN are unused).

James,

iSER doesn't mandate the source IP in general since its doing a much
stronger authentication during Login
However we believe using a similar header to SDP can help the Passive
side
a. know which destination IP was targeted (in a multi homed environment)
b. for some implementations that want to validate the source for some
reason

that's why the draft suggested adding the source/dst IP in the private
data just like SDP does, I believe it can be a good idea to use the same
approach for NFS/RDMA and eliminate the need for reverse ATS lookup (the
may have some conflicts when multiple IPs exists per node).
We may just use the SDP hello header as is with unused fields zeroed
This will allow all ULPs to use the same mechanism

Yaron