[openib-general] RDMA connection and address translation API

Roland Dreier rolandd at cisco.com
Wed Aug 24 11:17:16 PDT 2005

    Tom> Good point, although for iWARP it will work that way that you
    Tom> expect.  For IB, admitedly it's more complex and would
    Tom> require ATS. There seems to be significant reluctance around
    Tom> ATS and I don't understand the issues. Can you provide a
    Tom> quick synopsis?

My resistance is that ATS is just complexity without any benefit.  It
doesn't provide additional security.  It doesn't solve the
multi-homing problem we're talking about now.  Once you've thrown away
information by turning your IP address into an IB GID, there's no
magic way ATS can recreate that information and be psychic about which
of the multi-homed IPs you actually meant.  So why not just put the IP
addressing information into the CM private data, the way that the SDP
protocol already does?

 - R.