[openib-general] RE: [iSER]question about iSER code

Alex Nezhinsky alexn at voltaire.com
Thu Aug 25 05:22:01 PDT 2005

Wang Xigui wrote:
> This is differentf from prevous draft.

That's what I meant:)

> Is it possible to establish the connection in IPoIB mode,
> and if the RDMAExtensions key is not negotiated to Yes, then
> establish an new iSER conection?

If opening an iSER connection is what you want, why wouldn't you try
to open an iSER connection from the start. If the question is how
do you locate targets (or ports) which provide iSER storage services,
then it's a separate question to be answered by using and/or augmenting
SendTargets, SLP, iSNS and related discovery mechanisms.
There have been some discussions of it in IETF-IPS.

> And some questions:  I was confused with the
> 'Allocate_Connection_Resources'. It allocates resources for iSER
> connection. But the connection has been established at the beginning.

The purpose of 'Allocate_Connection_Resources' is to allocate resources,
not to establish connection. Some allocation/operation parameters may
depend on the outcome of the login phase (negotiated values of some
iscsi/iser operational parameters), so it is ok to call it even if the
connection is already established. Note that the login phase has some
very strict limitations on what can actually be sent or received,
so  'Allocate_Connection_Resources' actually gives you a chance
to do all necessary preparations for the "real" work.

Alexander Nezhinsky