[openib-general] RE: [iSER]question about iSER code

Alex Nezhinsky alexn at voltaire.com
Wed Aug 24 04:09:55 PDT 2005

Dan Bar Dov wrote:
> The ISER spec is iWARP oriented. Please read also the
> Huffered spec regarding ISER over IB. There is work in
> progress regarding ISER spec modification so it becomes
> transport neutral. The ISER implementation at openIB starts
> the connection Already in ISER mode, so the flow you list
> above is not followed.

There is also a new draft candidate by Mike Ko, incorporating the
changes proposed in the Hufferd's draft. It can be found as
draft-ietf-ips-iser-05-candidate.pdf or
draft-ietf-ips-iser-05-candidate.txt
at http://www.haifa.il.ibm.com/satran/ips/

This text refers to the transport layer as an RDMA Capable Protocol,
mentioning the differences between iWARP and IB when necessary.

iSER layer does not need to establish a new connection. ISER serves as
a transport layer for iSCSI, so its connection is *the* connection, at
least
for the etire full-featured phase. The only issue is related to the
login phase
but this is being discussed here and in IETF-IPS.

Alexander Nezhinsky

Software Engineer
Infiniband Storage Solutions
<http://www.voltaire.com/>