[openib-general] RDMA connection and address translation API

Caitlin Bestler caitlinb at broadcom.com
Thu Aug 25 08:06:59 PDT 2005

The data required when doing a qp-modify-to-rts is inherently
transport specific. IB requires a set of data obtained from the
IB CM protocol (or the equivalent data through application specific
black magic), while iWARP requires a handle for a TCP connection
(assumed to be a socket, but not explicitly required to be so).

The problem is that when the RDMAC specified the iWARP modify qp
to RTS behaviour they did not forsee the non-technical barriers
to simply using a socket handle to specify transfer of ownership
of a TCP connection from one stack to another.