[openib-general] Re: RDMA Generic Connection Management

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Mon Aug 29 14:20:31 PDT 2005

Quoting r. Sean Hefty <mshefty at ichips.intel.com>:
> Subject: Re: RDMA Generic Connection Management
>
> Guy German wrote:
> >- ib_cma_get_device (...) /* get device(1) or device+path(2) */
> >- pd = ib_alloc_pd(...) /* pd allocated in the given device */
> >- qp = ib_cma_create_qp(...) /* qp returned in init state */
> >- ib_post_recv(qp, ...);
> >- ib_cma_connect (qp, dst_addr(1)/path(2), ...);
>
> To focus on something a little different... do we want an API that
> returns a pointer to a device structure?

Yes, I think its much better than dealing with type-unsafe indexes,
wasting memory on tables and/or forcing table lookups on each call.

> Specifically, how does this
> affect device removal?
>
> - Sean

How is this different from what we have with ib_verbs now?

I think that reasonable ULPs must register for hotplug events
in the ib layer, anyway.
So when they get a device removal callback, they close the qps etc.

Makes sense?

--
MST