[openib-general] Re: RDMA Generic Connection Management

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Mon Aug 29 14:21:06 PDT 2005

Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> How is this different from what we have with ib_verbs now?

With ib_verbs, users receive notification of device addition/removal.
This interface doesn't require receiving that notification.

> I think that reasonable ULPs must register for hotplug events
> in the ib layer, anyway.
> So when they get a device removal callback, they close the qps etc.
>
> Makes sense?

This opens up the possibility for a user to receive a reference to a
device that they may not have received previous notification for.
Similarly, the device could have been removed before the call returned,
making the pointer invalid.