[openib-general] SDP Query

Dror Goldenberg gdror at mellanox.co.il
Tue Aug 30 14:20:11 PDT 2005

Yes, you need a MP device. Obviously, in order to exit the IB and go to
Ethernet, you'd have to have a device of which one port is IB and the other
port is Ethernet. This device can be a simple IP router, in the form of a
Linux box or a special product. It might as well be an IB to Ethernet layer
2 bridge, or it might be a gateway.
So, depending on which box you're using to connect the IB to Ether, is what
you can do with it. If it's an IP router or a switch, then you won't be able
to move SDP traffic through it, and you'll have to connect your Ethernet
host to IB host through TCP/IP using IPoIB and IPoEthernet. If you have a
gateway that can do SDP termination on one port and TCP termination on the
other port, then you can use SDP in the host. In any way, libsdp policy is
configurable. So for example, you can configure to do the local stuff using
SDP and the WAN stuff over IPoIB.
You should probably consult your MP box vendor to learn more about the
capabilities of the specific product.