[openib-general] UC connection server

Fabian Tillier ftillier at silverstorm.com
Tue Dec 6 10:18:18 PST 2005

On 12/6/05, Sean Hefty <mshefty at ichips.intel.com> wrote:
> Steven Wooding wrote:
> > The idea is to use a PC-based stack that does use the standard CM
> > interface. I can then make a connection with that. The PC then gets
> > the info about the real QP from the embedded device via some
> > proprietary method.
>
> You can use the existing connection to exchange the QP information, similar to
> how you would exchange the information over Ethernet.  Once the other QPs are
> setup, you can either teardown the existing connection or use it to connect
> other QPs.

I think what Steve wants to do is issue a REQ, send it to the PC, but
have the path record go to his embedded device (which has a different
LID).  The CM protocol supports this, but the implementation of the CM
looks at the path record to determine the destination of the CM MADs.
Supporting this would require some way for the user to set the target
of the CM MADs independently of the path information contained in the
REQ.  Adding an optional extra path record for the CM path might do
the trick.

- Fab