[openib-general] Next workshop dates? Ideas for agenda???

Roland Dreier rdreier at cisco.com
Mon Dec 12 09:39:30 PST 2005

    Bill> I think, subject to others input, it'll be focused on
    Bill> wrapping up rel 1.0 of OpenIB, discussing what the
    Bill> developers are going to focus on next and validating the
    Bill> strategy for RDMA over Ethernet integration at the verbs
    Bill> level to lay the foundation for one, consistent RDMA
    Bill> structure in Linux, if possible.

I'm not sure I see the point in dragging everyone together in early
February.  With the holidays coming, realistically we only have maybe
5 weeks to prepare a conference agenda, and I don't see that as being
enough time to set up a productive meeting.

In particular:

 * wrapping up rel 1.0 -- the release process for a "1.0" release has
   not even started.  About all we could hope to accomplish would be
   to pick a release manager and tell that person to go start driving
   a release, and I don't see that as a good use of face-to-face
   time.  It would be much better to pick someone to drive the release
   and then give the release manager time to start putting the release
   together before getting together, so that we have some idea of what
   the real issues that need to be hashed out in person are.

 * iWARP integration -- again, not enough discussion has taken place
   in advance.  Until the community has a chance to really study the
   proposed changes and figure out what the real difficult issues that
   need to be sorted out in person are, again it's a waste of time to
   meet in person.

 * discuss developers next steps -- perhaps I'm pessimistic but I
   think we'll just get the same talks we've already seen twice before
   at Sonoma and IDF.

Sonoma is a short trip for me but given the number of people that will
have to come from the East coast and Israel, I think we should think
hard about whether this conference is the best use of our time.

 - R.