[openib-general] Re: [kDAPL]questions about the LMR creation of different types of memory

James Lentini jlentini at netapp.com
Mon Dec 19 12:35:57 PST 2005

ian> As your mentioned, ULPs in OpenIB (e.g. SDP or IPoIB) are
ian> responsible for properly mapping and unmapping for DMA use.
ian> AFAIK, SDP is implemented with the IB native verbs. What about
ian> the kDAPL? In my opinion the kDAPL does not do the mapping and
ian> unmapping work. So it is the responsibility of the kernel
ian> applications using the kDAPL. Am I right?

Per the spec, it depends on the flag you pass dat_lmr_kcreate. If you
register using the DAT_MEM_TYPE_PHYSICAL flag, the memory address
should be physical addresses. If you register using DAT_MEM_TYPE_IA,
the addresses should be a DMA (aka an I/O, aka a bus) address.

Currently the code is assuming that physical addresses are valid DMA
addresses and not performing a translation.