[openib-general] RE: A couple of questions about osm_lid_mgr.c::__osm_lid_mgr_set_physp_pi

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Wed Dec 21 21:18:53 PST 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 06:37, Hal Rosenstock wrote:
> Hi Eitan,
>
> On Sun, 2005-12-18 at 14:20, Eitan Zahavi wrote:
> > [EZ] Thanks. I have seen the patch. It is fine.
>
> Thanks. I just committed it.

> > down ?

> > well defined.
> > >
> > > NeighborMTU is not involved with the link negotiation nor is there a
> > > comment in the description like OperationalVLs. What behavior are you
> > > referring to ?
>
> > [EZ] I actually do not see any spec note about modifying neighbor MTU
> > during link up.
>
> Yes, that was what I was saying.
>
> >  However, I remember we had to add this functionality. I
> > try to dig this up in the old bit keeper and found the first occurrence
> > of the setting of the port down in version 1.7. But the log does not say
> > why.
>
> Thanks for looking. This seems mysterious to me but I would hestitate to
> remove it even though I don't think it should be required or if it is
> some spec comment should be made. I would like to close the loop on this
> but don't see how.

In looking at this area some more, is it even required for changing
OperationalVLs ? The spec component description states "Changing
OperationalVLs in certain PortStates may cause flow control update
errors which may initiate Link/Phy retraining." So it sounds like the
link might retrain (and go down) on its own if needed but the SM needn't
take the link down.