[openib-general] RE: A couple of questions aboutosm_lid_mgr.c::__osm_lid_mgr_set_physp_pi

Eitan Zahavi eitan at mellanox.co.il
Wed Dec 21 23:42:16 PST 2005

Hi Hal,

Yes when you change OperationalVLs you can run into situation where the
link will retrain. But this retrain might happen anytime when the
watchdog timer expires.
Instead of letting it surprises the SM (which thinks the link is armed
or active) - I prefer taking the link down in then to arm and active in
an orderly manner. Another aspect is that the watchdog timer might
expire much later in the bring-up process causing traps to be injected
such that OpenSM will perform extra sweeps which could be avoided.

This "preference" of mine was developed over the bad experience of
trying to rely on the watchdog timer in the past...

EZ

Eitan Zahavi
Design Technology Director
Mellanox Technologies LTD