[openib-general] CM comments

Sean Hefty mshefty at ichips.intel.com
Wed Feb 2 13:30:21 PST 2005

Fab Tillier wrote:
> The state diagrams in the spec seem to imply that the MRA gets resent for
> every subsequent message received for which the MRA was originally sent (see
> the MRA Sent states).  So a REP received in the MRA(REP) Sent state results
> in a resend of the MRA.  Likewise, a REQ received in the MRA(REQ) Sent state
> also results in a resend of the MRA.

This is my interpretation as well.

> Are the IB_CM_MRA_XXX_SENT states needed?  I don't see anything in the IB
> spec that prohibits a client from sending multiple MRA messages, but maybe I
> missed it.  If the CM repeats the MRA as described above, then I think only
> allowing the client to send one MRA is fine.

For the CM to repeat the MRA, I think it needs these states.  I'm not
sure what you mean by "multiple MRA messages".

> I don't think the LAP message should be retried by the CM.  Section 12.9.8.6
> of the spec states that the REQ, REP, and DREQ can be retried.  The LAP does
> have a timeout for a response, but no retries.

I think allowing the LAP to be retried by the CM is fine.  Section
12.9.8 is dealing with connection establishment/teardown, and does not
include path migration.  Section 12.8 says that the LAP "may be re-sent
if there is no response".