[openib-general] OpenIB Architecture, kernel mode driver examples

Nauzad Sadry nauzad at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 17:17:28 PST 2005

Hello folks

I am a newbie in Infiniband. I managed to install & get 2 machines
with Mellanox MT23108 HCAs to connect through a Mellanox switch
MTS2400. I am currently using the Mellanox IBGD-1.6.1 drivers. I have
the following questions

1. I wanted to understand the Software Architecure of the OpenIB. Do
we have any document that describes this architecture (like a Theory
of Operations). An architecture document is available in the
Infiniband Linux Project supported on sourceforge. I was wondering if
there is/are such document(s) for OpenIB.

2. What are the APIs exposed by OpenIB Access Layer ?? I am not
referring to the VAPI_XXX APIs but the ib_XXX APIs ?? Can someone
refer me to some use-cases ??

3. I want to write a simple Linux kernel mode driver that uses the
APIs exposed by the OpenIB Access Layer (NOT the VAPI). The driver
does simple send/receive of messages. It does not need to use IPoIB or
SDP or other kernel level services. Is there anyway I can get access
to Sample code for such a driver.

Your help will be really appreciated

Thanks

Nauzad