FW: [openib-general] Minutes from DAPL BOF at OpenIB Workshop

Kanevsky, Arkady Arkady.Kanevsky at netapp.com
Thu Feb 10 15:49:02 PST 2005

For kDAPL:
The iSER has been submitted to Open Ib by Voltaire already.
NFS-RDMA is at http://sourceforge.net/projects/nfs-rdma/.

For uDAPL: Oracle, DB2 and MPI.
I am not aware if there is an open source MPI version on uDAPL.

These are publicly known.

As far as changing the uDAPL or kDAPL APIs.
There are application already writen to them.
There are implementation of these APIs on other platforms besides Linux.
It is in nobody's interest to splinter the user community.
We need the same API on all platforms.
If there is a good technical reason to change some specific APIs we
should consider it.
But the "burn the spec" approach is not a rationale one.
If we need to change implementation or some definitions in header files
it is feasible.

As far as other transport. As people already mentioned iWARP (IETF
RDDP).
IBM talked at the BOF about RNIC PI which is being developed as a level
of
abstraction on the lower end to "discover" all the need info about
RNIC/HCA.
It is still no ready so we will start with gen2.
But lets not loose site of what DAPL brings:
OS independent,
Transport independent,
RDMA APIs!!!

Thanks for jumping on the code so quickly.
Arkady
Chair of DAT Collaborative

Arkady Kanevsky                       email: arkady at netapp.com
Network Appliance                     phone: 781-768-5395
375 Totten Pond Rd.                  Fax: 781-895-1195
Waltham, MA 02451-2010          central phone: 781-768-5300