[openib-general] Question

Roland Dreier roland at topspin.com
Mon Feb 28 14:53:46 PST 2005

    Ronald> You mean, if you have an initialized fabric, opensm can't work?

No, just that OpenSM has to be able to handle an uninitialized fabric,
since the SM is responsible for initializing the fabric.  However the
SM should work no matter what state the fabric is in.

    Ronald> Is there useful material on the web that explains this? I
    Ronald> keep looking for good technical docs on this stuff but
    Ronald> keep finding stuff like "IB is the future" and "IB
    Ronald> replaces fibrechannel" and "IB market is growing" but not
    Ronald> the kind of good information I keep seeing on this list.

The IB spec is probably the best reference for what the SM does.
Volume 1 Chapter 14 has a very thorough description of subnet management.

 - R.