[openib-general] IB Address Translation service

Yaron Haviv yaronh at voltaire.com
Mon Feb 28 22:07:28 PST 2005

Not
> to mention the race conditions between keeping a centralized database
> (ATS)
> in sync with the distributed mechanism. (ARP)
>
>   For these reasons I cringe at hearing IP address and ATS in the
> same sentence, I really wish DAT had chosen a different name for
> the addresses.
>
>   Really, we all discussed this years ago in the IETF, the merits of
> using broadcast vs. centralized data store, and a solution was
> developed. This is why open standards bodies are so useful.

Libor, I agree with most of your statements here, I also advocated to
use ARP based mechanisms in the DAT calls rather than ATS.
And our DAPL implementation enable ARP based resolution in addition to
ATS
The one thing that ATS provide and is not possible with ARP is reverse
resolution GID->IP, any ideas how to achieve that without ATS ?

The protocols such as SDP and iSER pass the source IP address as part of
the CM REQ Private Data, so they don't really need the reverse
translation, DAT people have tried to make a generalized mechanism

I assume James or Arkady should comment on the need for ATS and DAPL
reverse resolution

One other approach can be to provide ATS support to user applications
only, and eliminate the kDAPL support for those functions.
Also I kind of like Paul's application for thin IB clients.

> > Anyway the merits if the proposed API goes much beyond the use of
ATS,
> > so I hope we don't just hang on that one.
>
>   Agreed, there is certainly a lot more to discuss then just ATS and
ARP.

Any comments on my email explaining the forward resolution mechanisms
(IP->GID, GID->path) ?  (not relating to ATS)

Yaron