[openib-general] Re: tvflash HCA numbering with multiple HCAs

Johannes Erdfelt johannes at erdfelt.com
Mon Jan 3 11:46:16 PST 2005

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005, Roland Dreier <roland at topspin.com> wrote:
>     Hal> Hi, Has flashing HCAs when there are multiple HCAs in the
>     Hal> host been tried ?  There seems to be some confusion on the
>     Hal> HCA numbering in tvflash as shown by the GUIDs below. I
>     Hal> needed to tvflash -h 1 to update mthca0.
>
> Yes, I've tried it and it works.  It is true that the PCI device order
> may be different between the kernel and tvflash.  Maybe the best
> solution is to specify devices by PCI domain, bus, device rather than
> some arbitrary number.

I think we should be able to match the PCI devices with the information
from the sysfs IB tree.

Although I guess that would require the IB drivers to be loaded to be
able to flash a device.

Or we can fix the order you see here as well as add specifying devices
by the domain, bus, device.

The problem here is that the 2.6 version of libpci returns devices in
reverse order to the 2.4 version which is causing tvflash to create the
list backwards on 2.6.

Since OpenIB is 2.6 only right now, it should be as easy as reversing
the order of the list tvflash constructs.

JE