[openib-general] Re: tvflash HCA numbering with multiple HCAs

Johannes Erdfelt johannes at erdfelt.com
Mon Jan 3 13:10:36 PST 2005

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005, Hal Rosenstock <halr at voltaire.com> wrote:
> Couldn't tvflash still determine the same order mthca would regardless
> of whether it is loaded or not ? That number wouldn't be terribly
> meaningful unless mthca were loaded previously (and subsequently
> removed) or the machine rebooted with mthca loaded after obtaining the
> firmware version.

Most of the time atleast. Things like hotplug can change the order of
the devices and thusly the numbering.

But that's kind of rare and most of the time the devices will be
installed at boot time. We also know what algorithm the kernel uses,
so it should be relatively easy to match what the user expects in most
common scenarios.

JE