[openib-general] Re: tvflash HCA numbering with multiple HCAs

Johannes Erdfelt johannes at erdfelt.com
Mon Jan 3 11:53:21 PST 2005

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005, Hal Rosenstock <halr at voltaire.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-01-03 at 14:40, Roland Dreier wrote:
> > It is true that the PCI device order
> > may be different between the kernel and tvflash.  Maybe the best
> > solution is to specify devices by PCI domain, bus, device rather than
> > some arbitrary number.
>
> It was unclear to me that this was an arbitrary number (rather than the
> number which was appended to mthca).
>
> How is the HCA numbering for mthca decided ? Why can't tvflash use the
> same numbering scheme ?

Check my other reply, but the short answers are: The numbering for mtcha
is decided by the PCI core and how it scans PCI devices and calls the
mtcha callback. tvflash can't use the same numbering scheme because that
would require the IB drivers to be loaded.

However, it would be nice to have tvflash follow the same numbering
scheme when the IB drivers are loaded to make it easier to use.

I plan on looking into this today.

JE