[openib-general] ip over ib throughtput

Diego Crupnicoff Diego at Mellanox.com
Thu Jan 6 04:43:34 PST 2005

I feel like we are talking about different things here:

The ***IP*** MTU is relevant for IPoIB performance because it determines the
number of times that you are going to be hit by the per-packet overhead of
the ***host*** networking stack. My point was that the ***IP MTU*** will not
be tied to the ***IB*** MTU if a connected mode IPoIB (or SDP) is used
instead of the current IPoIB that uses IB UD transport service. The IB MTU
would then be irrelevant to this discussion.

As for the eventual 2G ***IP*** MTU limit, it still sounds more than
reasonable to me. I wouldn't mind if a 10TB file gets split into some IP
packets up to 2GB?!?!? each.

(With the exception of the UD transport service where IB messages are
limited to be single packet), the choice of ***IB*** MTU and its impact on
performance is a completely unrelated issue. IB messages are split into
packets and reassembled by the HCA HW. So the per-IB-message overhead of the
SW stack is independent of the IB MTU. The choice of IB MTU may indeed
affect performance for other reasons but it is not immediately obvious that
the largest available IB MTU is the best option for all cases. For example,
latency optimization of small high priority packets under load may benefit
from smaller IB MTUs (e.g. 256).

Diego