[openib-general] Some Missing Features from mthca/user MAD access

shaharf shaharf at voltaire.com
Mon Jan 10 09:15:51 PST 2005

Michael,
	What you are proposing is a new mechanism. It may be good or
not. Yes you can invent new mechanisms to use the is_sm bit. Right now
there is none except the sminfo handshake. Even if you invent new
mechanisms to use the IS_SM bit, it does not change the following fact:
if you set the IS_SM bit you should reply to sminfo. This is out of our
control. This is how the discovery is defined in the IB spec. Letting
other applications to set the IS_SM but without responding to SMINFO is
annoying in the best case and very dangerous in the other cases. In most
cases it would mean that the SM (any SM) will not be able to work
because it will fail to register to SMINFO.
And NO, the kernel can not respond to the sminfo requests because it
doesn't know its state. Again failing to report the correct state may
end with multiple MASTER SMS on the subnet.

Shahar

MAD