[openib-general] Some Missing Features from mthca/user MADacc ess

Eitan Zahavi eitan at mellanox.co.il
Tue Jan 11 02:59:37 PST 2005

[EZ] Shahar Wrote:
On the other hand, attributes mask are much more reasonable. It may allow
you to split qp0/qp1 responsibilities to several applications on the same
node. This may be applicable to SA attributes. For example, I am not sure
why the OpenSM have to manage the service record database. Such attributes
mask will enable us to distribute it.

[EZ]: The IBADM specification does not require the SA to be the same
application/program as the SM. But it does require that ServiceRecords be
handled by the SA.

[EZ] Another thought. I hope there is no assumption in the code that only
one application can register for receiving "un-solicited" MADs of specific
class,method,attribute triplet . Consider the case of using InformInfo for
receiving Reports from the SM on critical changes in the subnet. Unless you
allow each one of the applications to register for receiving these
"un-solicited" MADs you will end up writing a kernel module and invent a new
API for registering single clients.

There are other examples like Baseboard management agents (BM uses "Send"
method  which I believe does not carry enough information to enable
recognizing what "un-solicited" MAD is.