[openib-general] ip over ib throughtput

Michael Krause krause at cup.hp.com
Thu Jan 13 09:22:33 PST 2005

At 08:43 AM 1/13/2005, Woodruff, Robert J wrote:

>Grant> Good news: Topspin firmware 3.3.2 can run netperf w/MSI-X on ia64
>too
> >Bad news: I'm getting weak perf #s on the ZX1 boxes (~1580 Mbps ==
>~200MB/s)
>
>I found this paper about 10gig ethernet on Itanium where they were
>not seeing that good of performance and were able to increase it by
>changing some BIOS setting that controlled PCI-X burst size. Perhaps
>this
>might also help IB, although they state in the paper that this seemed to
>help more with larger MTUs, so with our 2K MTU, not sure if it will help
>or not.

Yes it will help all high-speed I/O devices.  The default firmware settings
focus on creating a balanced environment across all slots to avoid any
perceived QoS issues.  Changing the parameters improves performance but
could result in minor HOL blocking for completions.  The internal
interconnect used on these platforms is a serial interface (dual simplex)
that has been shipping for many years now and has evolved over time to
improve performance and capabilities.