[openib-general] patches from subversion

Grant Grundler iod00d at hp.com
Wed Jan 19 10:15:25 PST 2005

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 05:08:57PM +0200, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> Guys, I'd like to ask all to generate patches with diff -up option,
> which makes it easier to understand the generated patch.

While I prefer "-up" output also, please don't flame anyone
for submitting them with default params - I'm likely to do that.
We don't need to make it harder than necessary to submit patches.
It's already tedious enough.

SVN appears to be missing is the "-p" support - it generates
universal diffs by default. But complains about "-up" params.

> Howto (there are other ways):
>
> svn diff --diff-cmd mydiff

Yes - two other ways.

1) modify ~/.subversion/config:
diff-cmd = ~/bin/mydiff

2) svn diff --diff-cmd "/usr/bin/diff" -x -up FILENAME

It's annoying that one can't just say:
	svn diff -x -up FILENAME...

The help I was able to find indicate SVN only attempts to
support GNU diff parameters. SVN seems to fall short of that
goal in this case.

> If there's agreement on this, lets also add this to the FAQ.

Please add MST's suggestions and mine to the FAQ as part of "how to use SVN"
and not a requirement to submit patches.

hth,
grant