[openib-general] Re: [KJ] [RFC] TODO file cleanups

Grant Grundler iod00d at hp.com
Thu Jan 20 09:19:23 PST 2005

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 06:02:36PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 11:06:19AM -0800, Roland Dreier wrote:
> >     Michael> By the way, I was looking at using RCU to reduce locking,
> >     Michael> also for thing like poll_cq. What do you say to that?
> >
> > Unless it's a dramatic speedup, we should avoid RCU because it seems
> > RCU can only be used with GPL code, not dual GPL/BSD.
>
> "dual GPL/BSD" means you can choose whether you want to use the code
> under the GPL or under a BSD licence.
>
> Therefore, it's simply GPL code.

Adrian,
I think you overlooked the fact that include/linux/rcupdate.h is published
under the GPL. Not "dual GPL/BSD". Someone can't take code that uses
linux's RCU and ship it under a BSD license.
There are "consumers" of openib.org that want to do that.
ergo we can't use RCU unless they are willing to give that up.

> And even in the other case, the 3-clause BSD licence is compatible with
> the GPL.

Sorry - I'm no lawyer. I've never heard of "3-clause BSD" and that's
probably a good thing. I fail to see the point of something that's
compatible with GPL since one could just use GPL in that case.

grant