[openib-general] Re: [KJ] [RFC] TODO file cleanups

Matt Leininger mlleinin at hpcn.ca.sandia.gov
Fri Jan 21 09:24:09 PST 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 10:21 -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 10:02:24AM -0800, Sean Hefty wrote:
> > Greg KH wrote:
> >
> > >Personally, I think it's a stupid thing to try to license this code in a
> > >dual way, as any port someone is going to have to do to get this code to
> > >work in another os will be almost a complete rewrite in the end
> > >anyway...
> >
> > I think that companies want to be able to make derivative works without
> > needing to make the derivative open source, versus porting it to
> > another OS.
>
> And then run that derivitave work on a Linux GPL kernel?  Hah, good luck
> with your lawyers if you try to do that.  And good luck trying to work
> around symbols that the openib code is using that are marked
> EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL().
>
> Why do people try to do such stupid things, haven't the IB members
> learned from the past...
>
> Remind me to _never_ send in an openib kernel patch if this is the
> reason why the license is what it is.

  The idea was for folks to be able to take the OpenIB code, under BSD,
and port it to OSes other than Linux.  I agree that having a BSD only
stack running on Linux would be silly and should be avoided.  In the end
I only care about Linux.  I think performance should drive what Linux
features OpenIB uses.  If it improves performance then it's worth
using.

   - Matt