[openib-general] Re: [ANNOUNCE] userspace/management now partially uses autotools

Michael S. Tsirkin mst at mellanox.co.il
Sun Jan 30 03:06:04 PST 2005

Quoting r. Hal Rosenstock <halr at voltaire.com>:
> Subject: [ANNOUNCE] userspace/management now partially uses autotools
>
> The management common libraries (libibcommon, libibumad, and libibmad)
> as well as the diags and util subdirectories have been switched over to
> use autotools. The build process is different due to this and is
> documented in the README file in the userspace/management directory.
>
> OpenSM and its libraries have not as yet although that is the next step
> in the evolution.
>
> -- Hal

For now, we have a huge step backwards.
I quote the README file:

> To make this tree,
> 1. In libibcommon, libibumad, and libibmad (in that order), run:
> ./autogen.sh && ./configure && make && make install
> 2. In all util and diag subdirectories, run:
> ./autogen.sh && ./configure
> 3. At top level of management, run:
> make && make install

Hal, currently this means that
1. its painful to build opensm
   Several manual steps are required.

2. The process differs from the standard configure/make

   I think generated configure files shall be checked in so that
   the process is less painful for most people.

3. Current build requires that libraries are *installed*
   before opensm is built.
   This means that I cant have two versions installed without
   manual tweaks, and that just to *check* if some problem I have is fixed on
   trunk, I must install newer libraries possibly breaking a
   perfectly good installation.

May I suggest such changes shall be checked in
when they are fully ready (when all the tree has been converted)
and not half ready?
Alternatively, put them on a branch.

--
MST - Michael S. Tsirkin