[openib-general] Re: [ANNOUNCE] userspace/management now partially uses autotools

Hal Rosenstock halr at voltaire.com
Sun Jan 30 05:56:52 PST 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-30 at 06:06, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> For now, we have a huge step backwards.

I don't agree with your qualification of this as huge.

> I quote the README file:
>
> > To make this tree,
> > 1. In libibcommon, libibumad, and libibmad (in that order), run:
> > ./autogen.sh && ./configure && make && make install
> > 2. In all util and diag subdirectories, run:
> > ./autogen.sh && ./configure
> > 3. At top level of management, run:
> > make && make install
>

> Hal, currently this means that
> 1. its painful to build opensm
>    Several manual steps are required.

This is only temporary.

> 2. The process differs from the standard configure/make

How ?

>    I think generated configure files shall be checked in so that
>    the process is less painful for most people.

I did the same thing as was done in the other userspace directories.

> 3. Current build requires that libraries are *installed*
>    before opensm is built.
>    This means that I cant have two versions installed without
>    manual tweaks, and that just to *check* if some problem I have is fixed on
>    trunk, I must install newer libraries possibly breaking a
>    perfectly good installation.

The newer libraries are only required if there are changes in them.

This is the way the other userspace libraries are done.

If it is consensus to remove the installation dependency, this is
straightforward to do.

> May I suggest such changes shall be checked in
> when they are fully ready (when all the tree has been converted)
> and not half ready?
> Alternatively, put them on a branch.

I'll convert it back if that's what people want. It's pretty simple to
do. You can do this in your own tree if you don't like the way it is.