[openib-general] Re: IP addressing on InfiniBand networks (Caitlin Bestler)

Michael Krause krause at cup.hp.com
Tue Jul 5 09:35:32 PDT 2005

At 10:49 AM 6/30/2005, Roland Dreier wrote:
>     Michael> Being the person who led the addressing definition for
>     Michael> IB, I can state quite clearly that GID are NOT IPv6
>     Michael> addresses.  They were intentionally defined to have a
>     Michael> similar look-n-feel since they were derived in large part
>     Michael> from Future I/O which had them as real IPv6 addresses.
>     Michael> But again, they are NOT IPv6 addresses.
>
>The IBA spec seems to have a different idea.  In fact chapter 4 says:
>
>     "A GID is a valid 128-bit IPv6 address (per RFC 2373)...."

I wrote the original spec here.  The text was supposed to be updated to
clarify that the rest of the sentence, i.e. with additional rules, etc.
thus making it not a real IPv6 address from the IETF's perspective but
something quite close.  The intention was to allow one to manage the fabric
by having mapping functions from traditional IP management applications to
IB GID to minimize the amount of work to enable IB within a solution.

Mike